Chicken pot pie is one of those classic comfort foods that everyone craves about the time that the weather turns cold and wet. When you come into the house and you smell the delicious fragrance of chicken and pastry baking together in the oven, you will be so glad to be home and so excited to put this potpie on the table for the family to enjoy.
Chicken Pot Pie With Cheddar and Broccoli
- Cooking spray
- Pie Pan
- Pastry blender
- Medium-Sized Bowl
Pie Crust Ingredients
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Shortening
- ¼ cup Ice water
Pie Filling Ingredients
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Dried chives
- 1 ¼ cups Whole milk divided
- 4 oz Cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 ½ tsp Minced garlic
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 2 cups Shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 3 cups Cooked chicken roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cup Steamed broccoli florets
- 1 Large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Use cooking spray to coat the inside of a 9 inch deep dish pie pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Use a pastry blender to cut the shortening into the mixture until it forms coarse crumbs. Slowly drizzle about three quarters of the ice water into the mixture and use a fork to toss it all together. Add a bit more water a little at a time, tossing it until it begins to stick together and form a ball, pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
- Put the dough ball on a lightly floured surface and cut it in half. Shape that part of the crust mixture into a disc and roll it out until it will fit inside the pie pan.
- In a skillet, melt the butter and add the cream cheese, stirring it around until it is soft and melty. Add 1 cup of the milk and use a whisk to incorporate all of these together. Add the onion powder and chives to the mixture. Stir in the garlic and black pepper along with the salt.
- Put the ¼ cup milk in a jar with a tightly fitted lid. Add the 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour and cap the jar. Shake it well to incorporate the flour into the milk. Whisk the flour mixture into the milk mixture and cook over medium heat, constantly stirring until it is bubbly and thick. Turn the heat down to low and simmer the mixture for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 ½ cups shredded cheese, stirring it until it is melted. Taste the sauce with a spoon and salt and pepper it to taste.
- Take the sauce off of the stove and stir in the shredded chicken and chopped broccoli florets. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie pan.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top of the chicken and gravy mixture.
- Roll out the second half of the pie crust and put it on top of the pie. Crimp the edges and cut slits in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Use a fork to beat the egg and water together and then brush the top of the pie crust with the mixture.
- Bake the pie for 40 to 45 minutes until it is golden brown on top.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it rest for about 15 minutes before spooning the pie into bowls to serve.