Cooked in the method that is popular in the area of Florence, Italy, our recipe for Chicken Florentine features breaded sautéed chicken along with a rich, creamy sauce. This recipe is so good that you will be looking for guests to invite for dinner where you can serve this dish.
With a creamy, savory sauce studded with tasty spinach and garlic, our recipe for Chicken Florentine is a perfect choice to serve to guests in your home. It uses boneless skinless chicken breasts so that you do not have to worry about the meat is fully cooked.
The chicken breasts are breaded in a cheesy, herbed breading and cooked in a mixture of olive oil and butter. Then, you will create the sauce that includes half-and-half, cream cheese, and garlic.
Chicken Florentine Recipe
- Meat Mallet
- Large bowl
- Large Heavy Skillet
- Meat thermometer
- 4 pcs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts or 7 – 8 boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- ½ cup Flour
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
- 1½ cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Half and Half
- ⅓ cup Softened Cream Cheese
- 3 cups Fresh Spinach coarsely torn
- 1½ tbsp Lemon Juice
- Fresh Parsley for Garnish optional
- If you are using boneless skinless chicken breasts, wrap each one in plastic wrap and use a meat mallet to pound the meat into a filet that is about 1 inch thick. You want to make sure that the meat is of an even thickness so that the meat will cook evenly. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- On a plate or in a bowl, stir together the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, flour, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese. Roll each piece of chicken in this dredging mixture, thoroughly coating each one all over.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat the butter and the olive oil together over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook it for about five to seven minutes until the coating turns golden brown. Turn the chicken and cook the other side. Test each piece of chicken with an instant read meat thermometer. The chicken is done when the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Take the chicken out of the pan and set the pieces aside on a plate.
- Reduce the heat on the stove to medium and add the minced garlic. Cook the garlic for about 60 seconds until the garlic is a light golden brown. Add the chicken broth and stir all of the browned pieces in the bottom of the pan into the broth.
- Increase the stove temperature a little and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook this for about five minutes to reduce the liquid by half.
- Slowly stir in the half-and-half and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook the sauce for about two or three minutes, stirring frequently.
- Chop the softened cream cheese into cubes and stir it into the mixture. Mix it into the sauce until it is fully combined and the sauce is smooth.
- Add the spinach and cook it until it is wilted. Add the lemon juice.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Cover and heat the chicken and sauce together to warm everything. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.