Chicken Cordon Bleu is a dish that originated in the 1940s. This recipe features boneless skinless chicken breasts that are filled with a creamy cheese, like Swiss or provolone, along with a savory meat like ham or prosciutto. The chicken breasts are breaded and baked or fried to have a crispy crust.
Our recipe cooks in the skillet to make the tortilla crispy, golden brown, and delicious. We recommend that you cook the quesadilla at a heat level that is no higher than medium. The reason for this is that the tortilla will start to get too brown before the layers of cheese begin to melt.
You definitely want the delicious goodness of melted cheese on your quesadilla.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Quesadillas Recipe
- Saucepan small
- Skillet large, heavy
- Spatula large
- Pizza Cutter
- 4 pcs flour tortillas 8 - 10 inch
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast shredded
- 6 to 8 slices deli ham or prosciutto
- 8 slices Swiss or Provolone cheese
- 2 tbsp. butter
Dijon Mustard Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ⅛ tsp. ground red pepper
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, you will begin by making the Dijon Mustard Sauce.
- Melt the two tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until you form a paste and then add the chicken bouillon.Cook these together for a minute or two.
- The mixture should be bubbly and thick. Add the milk, whisking it in slowly so that no lumps are formed. Add in the mustard, ground red pepper, and the garlic powder.Continue to cook the sauce over medium heat for about five minutes or until it gets thick. Whisk often so that lumps will not form and the sauce will not scorch on the bottom. Remove the sauce from the heat and add the Parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.Turn the heat down to low and keep it warm on the stove while you prepare the quesadillas.
- To make the quesadillas you will need a large, heavy skillet. Melt the butter in the pan over medium heat, swirling the butter to coat the entire bottom of the pan. Add a single tortilla to the pan.Add sliced cheese, covering the tortilla. Add a layer of ham. Put the shredded chicken on the ham and drizzle it with a few tablespoons of the Dijon mustard sauce.
- Add another layer of cheese. Top with another tortilla shell and press it down to compress the whole quesadilla.
- Cook the quesadilla until it is lightly golden brown on the bottom. Use a large spatula to flip the whole quesadilla over and cook it on the other side until it is golden brown as well.
- Remove the quesadilla to a plate and use a pizza cutter to slice it into wedges. Repeat this process with the other ingredients to make another quesadilla. Serve with extra Dijon mustard sauce for dipping.
Related To: Quesadillas Recipes
The Dijon mustard sauce is the perfect touch of savory goodness to accent the flavors in this recipe. It does not have a very strong mustard flavor, so even those who are not big fans of that flavor will probably still enjoy it. We added a bit of red pepper to add a tiny spicy kick to the sauce, but you can easily leave that out if you are not a fan of things that are very spicy.
However, if you do like spicy things, feel free to add a little more red pepper to the sauce. You will probably have leftover Dijon mustard sauce, but do not throw it out. You will find all kinds of ways of using this delicious sauce, from slathering on a sandwich or dipping chicken nuggets.
For the chicken, you can use whatever kind of chicken you have on hand. We used shredded poached chicken breasts. However, if you have some leftover rotisserie chicken, that will be great too.
Another option would be to use well drained canned chicken if that is what you have handy. Additionally, if you have breaded frozen chicken tenders, you can use those too, if you slice them into chunks after you cook them according to the package instructions. Another good option might be cooked frozen popcorn chicken.
These kinds of chicken will bring to mind an authentic, breaded chicken cordon bleu.