In many families, the word casserole has a negative connotation. Kids may wonder what is hidden under the layers of crumb topping and cream soup. However, our recipe for Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole will put to rest all of the snide comments and eye-rolls. Even the grumpiest teenager will ask for seconds on this delicious casserole.
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe
- 4-Quart Casserol Dish
- Wire whisk
- Wooden Spoon
- Food Processor
- 8 pcs Chicken Tenders or 1/2 cooked rotisserie chicken
- 1/4 pound Black Forest Ham chopped
- 1/4 pound Shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1/2 stick Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 3 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 sleeve Crushed Saltine Crackers
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning or 1 ½ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs for the crackers and seasoning
- 1/2 stick Melted Butter
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 3 or 4-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken in a saucepan and fill the pot with water.
- On medium heat, bring the water to a boil.
- Put the lid on the pot and turn the heat off. Let the chicken sit in the hot water on the warm stove eye for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and shred it with your fingers. (Skip this step if you’re using a rotisserie chicken. Just shred the rotisserie chicken and use half of it.)
- At the bottom of the casserole dish, spread the chicken in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken and cover it with the chopped ham.
- Now you can prepare the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. To save on dishes, simply re-use the pot that you cooked the chicken in.
- Just empty the chicken water, wipe it out with a paper towel, and use it as is.
- Whisk the flour into the melted butter and cook it for about 60 seconds, whisking the whole time.
- Slowly add the milk as you continue to stir it with your whisk to keep it from forming lumps.
- Cook the sauce over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Don’t leave it unattended because milk-based mixtures scorch and bubble over easily.
- After the mixture begins to boil, it will begin to thicken. Remove it from the heat and add the mustard, paprika, lemon juice, and salt.
- Pour the finished sauce over the chicken, cheese, and ham in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Crush the saltine crackers or put them through a food processor until they are finely crushed.
- Add the Italian seasoning and the Parmesan cheese.
- Stir in the melted butter with a fork until the butter is fully mixed into the crumbs.
- If using breadcrumbs, simply stir them together with the butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the sauce without stirring.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- Allow it to cool for about 15 minutes before serving.