Cherry pie is cheerful, tasty, and fun to make. Our recipe for cherry pie uses tart cherries for complex taste. You can use frozen cherries to get all of the flavor of fresh cherries with none of the work.
Cherry Pie Recipe
- Medium-sized mixing bowl
- Sharp knife
- Pastry blender
- Rolling Pin
- Pie Pan
- Aluminum foil
- 2 ¼ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- ¼ to ½ cup cold water
- 5-6 cup frozen, pitted tart cherries
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp sugar for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, use a fork to combine the 2 ¼ cups of flour and the salt.
- Cut the butter into small pieces using a sharp knife.
- Using a pastry blender or a fork, incorporate the butter into the flour mixture, cutting it into smaller and smaller bits.
- When you are completely done, the mixture should resemble cornmeal, with tiny bits of butter distributed throughout the flour mixture.
- Next, slowly pour in about ¼ cup of the cold water.
- Stir the pie crust dough with a fork, and slowly drizzle in a little more water, a few tablespoons at a time.
- Once the dough begins to ball up in the bowl, stop adding water.
- There should be no dry spots in the pie dough, but it shouldn’t be sticky and gummy either.
- The texture that you are aiming for is that similar to playdough.
- When the correct amount of water is added and the pie crust dough is starting to stick together, use your hands to press the dough into a ball.
- Divide the ball in half and press each half into a disk.
- Roll the disk out on a lightly floured surface using a rolling pin until it is about 12 inches across.
- Fold the dough into quarters and transfer it into the pie pan.
- Using the same bowl as you used to create the pie dough, now make the cherry pie filling.
- Put the cherries in the bowl. They don’t have to be thawed.
- Add the sugar and flour and toss the cherries to coat them.
- Put the cherries into the crust-lined pan.
- Cut the 2 tablespoons of butter into little bits and dot the surface of the pie filling with butter.
- Roll out the top crust and put it on top of the cherry pie filling.
- Crimp the edges, and cut vents in the surface of the top crust to keep the pie from bubbling over in the oven.
- Using your hands, rub the top of the pie with milk and sprinkle it with the extra sugar for decoration.
- Bake the pie for about 45 to 60 minutes.
- You may want to use a pie shield or strips of aluminum foil folded over the edges of the pie to protect the pie from over-browning during baking time.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for about two to four hours to help the juices in the pie thicken up.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese
Home Stratosphere Giveaways...
Enter to Win Small Appliances
We're giving away all kinds of top small appliances including a Vitamix blender, Instant Pot, Juicer, Food Processor, Stand Mixer and a Keurig Coffee Maker.