Many beginner bakers avoid cakes thinking that they are too difficult to make from scratch. However, this carrot cake recipe is quick and easy for even an inexperienced baker to make. With cream cheese icing and spicy goodness, this carrot cake is sure to be a hit.
One complaint of many people who attempt to bake cakes from scratch is that they often turn out a little dry. However, this recipe creates a perfectly moist carrot cake with generous bits of carrot sprinkled throughout each slice. While many cake recipes have instructions for how long to mix the batter with an electric mixer and exacting steps to perfect the texture, this recipe yields perfect results even without a mixer.
Quick and Easy Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 pcs Eight-Inch Round Pans
- Large bowl
- Small bowl
- Rubber Spatula
- Wire whisk
- Butter Knife
- Wire Rack
Carrot Cake Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup White Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2/3 cup Canola Oil
- 3 pcs Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Carrots 3-4 medium-sized carrots
- 1 cup Chopped Pecans or Walnuts optional
Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese at room temperature
- 6 tbsp Softened Butter
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Chopped Pecans or Walnuts if desired for topping the cake
Carrot Cake Instructions
- Turn on your oven and preheat it to 350 degrees.
- Spray your pans with cooking spray or grease them liberally with oil.
- Lightly add a spoonful of flour in the pans and shake the pan to coat it completely with flour. You can use two eight-inch round pans or a 9 by 13 rectangular pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice along with the sugar. Whisk these dry ingredients until they are fully combined.
- In a smaller bowl, crack the eggs.
- Beat them with a whisk until they are light and fluffy, then whisk in the canola oil.
- With a spatula, add the oil and eggs to the dry ingredients, mixing just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Gently, using the spatula, fold in the grated carrots and the nuts if you choose to include them.
- Stir just until the carrots are fully integrated into the batter.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape the batter into the prepared pans, dividing it evenly if you are using two round cake pans.
- Bake the cake in the center of your preheated oven for 25-35 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan, or if you are planning to make a layer cake, allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes before gently sliding a butter knife around the edges of the cake to help release it from the pan.
- Remove the cakes to a wire rack to finish cooling before frosting it with cream cheese icing.
Cream Cheese Icing Instructions
- In a medium-sized mixer bowl using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter together until they are light and creamy.
- One cupful at a time, beat in the powdered sugar. Add the vanilla extract and salt.
- Place the bottom later of the carrot cake on a cake plate and spread about a third of the frosting evenly on top of it.
- Stack the top layer on the cake and spread another third of the frosting on the top of the cake.
- Using the remaining icing, neatly cover the sides of the cake with frosting.
- Top the cake with the chopped nuts.
Related: Carrot Cake Recipes