Combining the traditional goodness of classic banana bread and decadent cheesecake, our recipe for Buttermilk and Cream Cheese Banana Bread is a pleasure to all who eat it. Whether you want to enjoy it toasted for breakfast or as an afternoon snack, it is perfect for any time of day.
Take boring, old banana bread to a new level with our recipe for Buttermilk and Cream Cheese Banana Bread. This recipe has it all–old fashioned banana bread goodness plus a surprising swirl of cheesecake style flavor in the cream cheese filling layer. This is an excellent recipe to bring to a workplace brunch or even just as an afternoon treat to go along with a cup of tea.
Buttermilk and Cream Cheese Banana Bread Recipe
- 1 Oven
- 1 Loaf Pan
- 1 Bowl
- 1 Mixer Beater
- 1 Aluminum foil
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed brown bananas (3 medium-sized bananas)
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
Cream Cheese Layer Ingredients
- 1 4 ounce package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray or shortening.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat again. Stir in the bananas with a wooden spoon, along with the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl containing the butter and banana mixture. Stir these together just until the flour is incorporated. Do not over mix the mixture or your bread will become tough.
- Rinse your mixer beaters.
- Using the bowl that you used for the flour mixture and the electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, egg, sugar and 3 tablespoons white flour. Beat until smooth.
- Pour half of the banana bread mixture into the bottom of the prepared loaf pan.
- Smooth it into an even layer. Spread the cream cheese mixture on the bottom layer of the banana bread, trying to not mix the layers.
- Top this with the remaining bread batter. Smooth the top gently.
- Put the loaf pan into the oven and bake it for 50 to 60 minutes or until the top is firm to the touch. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn out the banana bread onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Store the banana bread wrapped in aluminum foil for up to a week in the refrigerator.