With the flavor of cheddar cheese, broth, and broccoli, this recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Rice is a wonderful, inexpensive side dish that even a middle schooler can make. Say goodbye to artificially flavored, overpriced rice mixes and learn to make them from scratch yourself with our recipe.
Side dishes can be annoying to plan. Many families have six or eight standard side dishes that they prepare, and over time, people get tired of them. If you need another option in the rotation, this recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Rice can add savory flavors and cheerful color to the dining table.
Manufacturers try to make cooking dinner simpler by offering boxed rice and pasta mixes in the grocery store aisles. These convenient, pre-made side dishes generally consist of rice, a seasoning packet, and maybe some sort of dehydrated vegetable, chopped fine and incorporated into the rice. These mixes do make dinner planning simple, and to make them, you do not have to search through the kitchen for various ingredients.
Broccoli Cheddar Rice Recipe
- Medium-Sized Saucepan with Lid
- Container with Tight-Fitting Lid
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup White Rice not minute rice or instant rice
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 cup Finely Chopped Raw Broccoli
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese you can choose how sharp, but the sharper the better for extra flavoring
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- In a medium-sized saucepan with a tightly fitting lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat until it sizzles when you flick a drop of water into the oil. Add the rice and cook and stir it for about 60-90 seconds, or until the rice is lightly browned.
- Pour the broth into the saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil. When the pot boils, turn the heat down to low, and put the lid on the pot. Cook the rice for 10 minutes or until most of the broth is absorbed.
- Add the broccoli and cook the rice for another 3 minutes with the lid on the pot.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the butter, along with the cheddar cheese, the salt, and the pepper. Stir until everything is thoroughly combined. Let the pot sit, covered, for about 5 minutes to allow the cheese to melt. Stir the rice again before serving.
- Store leftover rice in a container with a tightly fitting lid for up to 3 days. You can reheat leftovers in the microwave.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese