Do you love the flavor of fresh fruit pies but don’t have the time to create one the traditional way? This recipe for Blueberry Pie Bars will give you all the flavor of blueberry pie in just a few minutes of prep time. These bars are great for an afternoon snack or for dessert after dinner.
Watermelon, blackberries, strawberries, fresh peaches, and blueberries are some of the classic fruity tastes of summertime. When the weather is warm and the days are long, this is the time to enjoy the best fruits and vegetables of the year. Even if you don’t live in a farming community, chances are high that you can find delicious fresh fruit in your local grocery stores during the summer months.
If you picked up a pint or two of fresh blueberries at the store this week and you want a wonderful recipe for the berries, this recipe for Blueberry Pie Bars is a great way to use those fruits.
Blueberry Pie Bars Recipe
- Baking Pan
- Cooking spray
- Electric Mixer
Ingredients for the Dough:
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- The zest of a lemon
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup butter (one stick) softened at room temperature
- 1 piece egg
Ingredients for the Filling
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp cornstarch (you can substitute 2 tablespoons of flour if you don’t have cornstarch)
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray an eight or nine inch square baking pan with cooking spray and set it aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and butter. Add the lemon zest and stir again.
- Add in the butter and egg and use an electric mixer to blend this dough together. The dough will be moist but somewhat crumbly.
- Take half of the dough and put it into the prepared baking pan. Use your fingers or the bottom of a measuring cup to press the crumbly dough into the bottom of the pan in an even layer.
- In another medium sized bowl, you can prepare the filling. Add the blueberries to the bowl and sprinkle them with sugar. Add the cornstarch and lemon juice and gently toss the berries to coat them in the sugar and cornstarch. Pour the pie filling mixture into the pan on top of the crust that you pressed into place, smoothing it into an even layer.
- Take the portion of the dough that you reserved and sprinkle it over the pie filling in the pan.
- Slide the baking pan into the oven and bake it for 35 to 45 minutes. The filling should be hot and bubbly and the topping should be lightly browned and crispy looking. Do not overbake the bars. Light brown is the color that you want, and if you over bake them they will be too dry.
- Let the bars cool completely before you cut them into squares and serve them. Store leftovers in the refrigerator in a container with an airtight lid for up to a week.