Classic Italian fare, meatballs should be tender, moist, and tasty. Seasoned with garlic, parsley, and other Italian flavors, our recipe for Baked Meatballs will quickly become a family favorite. Topped with spaghetti sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese, this recipe for meatballs will appeal to anyone who loves spaghetti and pizza.
Meatballs are made in a variety of different cultures and locations across the world. However, when most people think about meatballs they picture ground beef or lamb seasoned with Italian flavors like basil and oregano, topped with a tomato-based sauce and mildly flavored cheeses like Parmesan and mozzarella. Our recipe for Baked Meatballs continues in this tradition with two kinds of cheeses and a tasty marinara sauce.
Homemade Baked Meatballs Recipe
- Deep Casserole Dish
- Large bowl
- Medium-Sized Bowl
- 2 pounds Ground Italian Sausage or any ground meat you have available
- 1/2 cup Italian Flavored Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 pc Egg
- 1/2 cup Half and Half
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Prepared Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a deep casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Spread about ½ cup of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the casserole dish.
- In a large bowl, stir together the half and half, egg, and breadcrumbs.
- Allow these ingredients to sit for about two or three minutes to help the breadcrumbs soak up the half and half and egg.
- In a medium sized bowl, using your hands, blend together the ground meat, the garlic, and the Parmesan cheese.
- Place the meat into the bowl with the reserved breadcrumbs and the half and half mixture.
- Using your hands, gently blend the meat with the crumbs and other ingredients.
- Scoop out a scant ¼ cup of meat using a spoon.
- Using your hands, roll the meat into a meatball. It should be roughly the size of a golf ball or slightly larger.
- Place the meatball into the prepared pan on top of the spaghetti sauce.
- Repeat with the remaining meat, until you have used up all of the meat.
- Top with the remaining spaghetti sauce.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over top of the meatballs and tomato sauce, evenly distributing the cheese.
- Bake in the center of your preheated oven for about 45 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.
- You can serve the meatballs atop pasta, or just on their own.
- Meatballs can be frozen after they are shaped for use in the future.
- Simply roll them into balls, place them on a paper plate, and slide the paper plate with the meatballs on it into a gallon zip top freezer bag. Press out as much air as you can, seal the bag, and place it in the freezer.
- To use, let the meatballs thaw in the refrigerator overnight before you proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Related: Baked Meatball Recipes