Welcome to our gallery featuring some truly neat backyard astro turf ideas!
Lawns are a staple of many homes around the globe. Some neighborhoods even have associations that regulate how laws should be cared for and maintained. While a well maintained lawn can be a nice feature for a home, they can be quite a bit of work for the homeowner.
For those who want a pristine, well manicured, and stunning golf course look for their yard without the necessary mowing and watering, astroturf may be the option for you.
With a faux grass lawn such as astroturf you can have the appeal of a maintained lawn without all the work. You can install the turf then sit back and enjoy your time while your lawn continues to look great.
What are the pros and cons of a lawn made of astroturf?
- Less maintenance – Astroturf does not require many of the things that a natural lawn does. Astroturf does not require water, mowing, or additional nutrients to stay healthy or green.
- Recycled – There are astroturf options that are composed of used recycled materials. This option is great if you are concerned about the environment.
- Long life – When well cared for, your astroturf lawn can last as long as 25 years. This is a long time to not have to worry about most lawncare needs.
- Less cost over time – Although there is a large initial investment, over its lifetime astroturf can cost less than caring for a standard living lawn.
- Wide variety – You can find turf in many different shades, colors, lengths and textures. Many kinds of astroturf are quite realistic.
- Fake – It may look and feel real, but it will never be the real thing. The simple fact is that astroturf cannot fully replicate all aspects of natural grass. There is just something about the real thing that will always be appealing. Some people really enjoy the reward of a nice lawn that comes with hard work and care. You won’t get that satisfaction with astroturf.
- Pollution – Even though it can be made from recycled materials, there is still waste and pollution produced during the manufacturing of astroturf.
- Not biodegradable – While turf does have a long lifespan, at the end of that life it will end up in a heap in a landfill. There are no other options after it has begun to fall apart than to pitch it and send it on its way to the dump.
- Absorbs heat – In direct sunlight, astroturf grows hot, becoming hot to the touch.
- Cost – Astroturf has a high initial cost. While there is little you need to do after installing it, the money you will have to put down upfront to install astroturf may be off putting to some.
There are differing qualities of astroturf. Depending on the quality of your turf, you can expect to pay between $5 and $20 per square foot. But once down, it is free to maintain until it begins to fall apart. (Source: House Logic)
Find more backyard ideas in our definitive guide to backyards!
This yard is a beautiful example of astroturf. It is so well installed and natural that it could easily fool the casual observer. With turf for a lawn it leaves more time to tend to other gardens and plants.
Astroturf gives a neat, clean, and well maintained feel to your yard. This is ideal for neighborhoods with strict guidelines on lawn care. There is no need to worry about picky associations if your yard is always in regulation.
Here is an astroturf yard that is long and well maintained. This sizable yard has many components. Many of these components take care and maintenance. Not having to care for the lawn leaves more resources to these other elements. Source: Zillow Digs™
This suburban home no longer needs to worry about mowing on the inclined hill that is their front lawn. With astroturf this concern has been entirely avoided.
Small lawns are great places for astroturf. You will not need to spend as much to install the turf, nor will you have to mow or water your lawn, adding one more thing you can put out of your mind.
Turf goes great around a pool. You can have the soft feel of astroturf on your feet while you spend your day by the pool. You won’t have to worry about overgrowth or moving all of your pool furniture to water or mow either. Source: Zillow Digs™
Here is a large space that has an extensive piece of astroturf installed. The edges of this space are complicated and precise. This space would be difficult to maintain if it were natural grass. The turf is much more carefree.
With astroturf you can create interesting design pieces with slabs and the turf. You won’t have to worry about the grass overwhelming the slabs or roots cracking and breaking the concrete. Source: Zillow Digs™
If you have a small outdoor space that may not get much sunlight, a natural lawn may not flourish. With astroturf your lawn can look lush and healthy even if you don’t get much sun.
If you want to get creative you can even cover objects with astroturf. Here is a lawn flamingo coated in the fake grass. It almost looks as though it has been crafted from a hedge. Unlike a hedge, it will not have to be maintained.
The small space between this fence has a nice piece of astroturf. This is a perfect use of astroturf. Lawn care can be particularly tricky along fences and walls, but there is no need for concern when you are dealing with astroturf.
Here is a fantastically creative lawn that uses astroturf. Rather than a continuous patch of astroturf there are a number of individual squares separated by lines of bricks. This creates an interesting pattern that is fun and unique. Source: Zillow Digs™
When you only have a small patch of lawn it can be a pain to take care of. It may be more worth your energy to install some astroturf and forget about that small offset area. Learn more here.
With astroturf your patch of grass can be interesting and unique. This patch of astroturf is cut into a funky and interesting design. Real grass would eventually grow out and not stay in this arrangement.
This modern yard has an organized and clean look. This is perfect for astroturf. The turf stays neat and orderly and its place. It is perfect for a design like this. Source: Zillow Digs™
You can surround your astroturf with flowers to bring some life and add a color profile to your outdoor space. The astroturf works as well as natural grass alongside flowers and other gardens.
There are so many different cuts and textures of astroturf available. Without a doubt you will be able to find a product that fits your needs. If you want lifelike astroturf, there are some turfs that will have you swearing it’s real grass.
When you have turf you can put other things in your yard that would be difficult if you had to mow. In this picture there is an underground trampoline. This would make mowing even more problematic. Fortunately, turf makes this problem disappear.
This small astroturf lawn is set low down on the deck steps as well as surrounded by a wall. This is a fantastically private and secluded yard. The turf transforms it into a forever green patch of grass to escape to. Source: Zillow Digs™
Here is another interesting design using astroturf. These tile squares are lined and divided by lines of astroturf. Designs of this nature are much more viable with astroturf than with natural grass.
This hillside is covered in a nice patch of astroturf. The caretakers of this space no longer have to worry about how to navigate the challenges of lawncare with this lovely turf installed.
Here is a small yard space with astroturf. When your space is quite small, it may be worth it to lay down turf rather than deal with the maintenance that comes with a natural lawn.
When you don’t have to worry about lawn maintenance you can put interesting features in your space. Here are some cool statues and tables that would be a real issue if not for the ease of the astroturf. Source: Zillow Digs™
This small patch of astroturf is home to two nice relaxing lawn chairs. The soft feel of the astroturf is great when you are out sunbathing. Learn more here.
Here is more fantastic poolside astroturf. Running out to the pool barefoot would be a pleasure when you have such a nice soft terrain to cross.
Astroturf can truly provide a clean and well cared for look with minimal effort. Your space can look like a stunning high end golf resort with the right astroturf. Source: Zillow Digs™