If you want a healthy, make-ahead breakfast that can use up some apples that are starting to get a little shriveled, our recipe for Breakfast Apple Granola Crisp is perfect. With a slightly-sweetened, cinnamon apple base, covered with a crunchy topping, it is sure to be a favorite.
When most people think of a fruit crisp, they think of a very sweet dessert-style dish that features sweet apples or berries, spicy cinnamon, and a crunchy, nut or oat-based topping. Often these dishes are served topped with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream as a treat after dinner in the winter. However, our recipe for Breakfast Apple Granola Crisp is just a little bit different. By simply scaling down the sugar content in this recipe, we were able to alter the recipe from a sweet, classic apple crisp dessert to a more nutritious, wholesome dish that is a perfect choice for breakfast.
Breakfast Apple Granola Crisp Recipe
- 9-Inch Square Baking Pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Medium-Sized Saucepan
- 6 pcs Medium to Large Apples whatever variety you have on hand
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Sugar white or brown, your choice
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 3 tbsp Honey
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 cup Instant Oatmeal or quick oats
- 1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1/4 cup Shredded Coconut
- Spray a nine-inch square baking pan with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Core and chop the apples into large chunks; you can peel them if you prefer, but this crisp is just as good with apples that have the peel on as it is with peeled apples.
- Put the apples in a large mixing bowl and drizzle them with lemon juice. Toss the apples with the lemon juice using a rubber spatula.
- Add the sugar, flour, and cinnamon along with the salt, tossing the apples until they are coated.
- Put the apples into the prepared baking pan and move on to creating the granola topping.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the honey and stir to combine.
- Stir in the ¼ cup flour, oats, nuts, coconut, and salt, stirring to combine. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the apples in the baking pan, evenly distributing it in a layer over the apples.
- Put the baking pan in the oven and bake it for 40 to 50 minutes or until the apples are bubbly and softened. If the granola topping should begin to brown too quickly, cover the pan with aluminum foil until about five minutes before the baking time is complete.
- You can eat this Breakfast Apple Granola Crisp while hot, when it has cooled to room temperature, or when it is cold, straight from the refrigerator. Store it in the refrigerator tightly covered. You can eat it for breakfast, cold, straight from the fridge, topped with yogurt.
Key Ingredients: Cream Cheese